Monday 12 March 2012

Hybrid or diesel?

Here is an interesting question to ponder when buying a new car. Whether to buy a hybrid or diesel if both were priced almost the same.
The Hybrid will offer very good fuel economy in the city and is practically silent while the diesel may not be as cheap to run in the city but it beats the Hybrid for highway fuel economy.

Here are some of the key points for comparison:
Hybrid:
- silent operation when running on electric motor
- good torque when both petrol engine and electric motor work together
- smooth power delivery
- bland driving experience
- good city driving fuel economy
- uses CVT transmissions
- some partial hybrids will shut off air conditioner when the car's transmission is in neutral or park


Diesel:
- high torque engine
- noisy engine
- good highway driving fuel economy
- Does not use CVT transmission
- drives like a conventional car

In my own personal opinion I would buy a diesel instead.
Here are my reasons:
- I don't need to change the hybrid battery that will cost me a bomb and a half! after 7 to 10 years
- a used car dealer will give me lousy trade-in values when the car reaches 7 years because he knows that he may have to change a new hybrid battery and the next buyer will not want to buy a hybrid with a dead battery
- i don't want to run the risk of electro-magnetic field radiation when driving a hybrid (as reported by a motoring journalist in the US that hybrid cars emit much higher electro-magnetic field radiation than claimed by car makers)
- I want to hear my engine roar when it put my foot down
- I want pedestrians to hear my car when I approach a crossing so I don't run over any pedestrians or blind people
- I never like CVT transmissions as it feels very odd

For those people who spend 90% of the time driving in the city in slow traffic the hybrid is still the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment